The Historic Miners Inn was built on the original site of the Million’s Hotel. Miners Hotel is actually the third hotel to have been erected on this site.
The Million’s Hotel had been moved to Corning from Riceville in the 1800s. Carl Gustave Liersch purchased The Million’s Hotel about 1884 and renamed it the “Liersch House Hotel.”
The Liersch House Hotel was regarded as one of the best hotels in Northern California. The hotel boasted 25 well-furnished rooms, a dining room, parlor, sitting room, billiard room, and a bar. Unfortunately, it was destroyed during “Great Fire of July 7, 1898,” which also destroyed most of Corning.
Liersch completely rebuilt the hotel on the same site about 1903, but this time he built it out of brick. (Photo on the left.)
After his death in 1925, his son, Otto, rebuilt the hotel and moderinized it. The hotel was renamed the “Corning Hotel.”
Alfred Steelman operated the hotel for 35 years. After his death, his sister Mrs. Crane, operated the hotel before selling it in 1963. (Photo on right.)
–Thank you to Tehama County Library for the historical information. Information gleaned from “Tehama County 1856-2006 150 Years” page 191.